fbpx

Life+News The Official News Portal of Independent Television Network Ltd

SpaceX capsule ‘destroyed’ in March test accident, official says

ITN News Editor
By ITN News Editor May 3, 2019 14:50

SpaceX capsule ‘destroyed’ in March test accident, official says

A SpaceX official confirmed on Thursday (May 2) that its astronaut capsule was a total loss after last month’s fiery accident at the company’s Florida test facilities, the latest detail from a joint investigation into the mishap led by Elon Musk’s space venture and NASA.
 
SpaceX vice president of flight reliability Hans Koenigsmann told reporters at NASA’s Kennedy Space Center that the Crew Dragon accident, triggered by an attempt to test fire its eight so-called SuperDraco engines, destroyed the vehicle on a test stand.
 
A leaked video of the March 20 accident, which was acknowledged as authentic by NASA in an internal memo obtained by local newspaper Orlando Sentinel, showed the astronaut capsule exploding to smithereens on a test stand at the company’s Cape Canaveral Air Force Station test facilities in Florida.
ITN News Editor
By ITN News Editor May 3, 2019 14:50