Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka takes oaths as an MP

Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka takes oaths as an MP


Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka has taken oaths as a Member of Parliament. The swearing in took place in Parliament today before Speaker Karu Jayasuriya.

The Elections Commission in a special gazette notification of the Sri Lanka Democratic Socialist Republic announced yesterday that Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka has been selected as a Member of Parliament. This Gazette Notification was issued under the guidance of Chairman of the Elections Commission Mahinda Deshapriya.

Accordingly the Elections Commission said that Sarath Fonseka has been selected to fill the vacancy created by the death of former Minister M.K.A.D.S. Gunawardena, as nominated by the General Secretary of the United National Party.

The United National Party at its Working Committee meeting yesterday unanimously approved Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka for the parliamentary seat which fell vacant by the demise of Minister M.K.A.D.S. Gunawardena. It followed after the Democratic Party led by Field Marshal Sarath Fonseka signed a collective agreement with the United National Party at Temple Trees recently.

Sarath Fonseka was born on December 18th, 1950. After his education he joined the Army and in 2005 December 05th he was appointed as the 18th Army Commander of Sri Lanka. Knowing that it was their end LTTE planned to assassinate him. A suicide attack targeting him was mooted on 25th April 2006. However, he survived the attack.

Field Marshal Fonseka succeeded in becoming the most skilled Army Commander giving leadership to devastate the world’s deadliest terrorist outfit. He bid farewell to the military service on November 16th in the year 2009 and entered politics. He competed in the 2010 Presidential election under the swan symbol as the common candidate and secured a 47 percentage of votes reaching the second place in the Presidential race.

Following his election defeat, Fonseka was arrested on 8th February 2010, and the government announced he will be court martialed for committing “military offences .He was convicted for corrupt military supply deals and sentenced to three years in prison. After serving more than 2 years in prison, Fonseka was released amidst local and international pressure on 21st May 2012. As per the pre-election statement, President Maithripala Sirisena, gave him the Complete Presidential Pardon and acquitted him of all the charges against him on 22nd January 2015, restoring his Civic Rights. Later On March 22nd, 2015, Sirisena promoted Fonseka to the rank of Field Marshal.